Im back in DRC after 11 years. The place where I met my husband. The place where I cut my teeth in the humanitarian sector. The place where I experienced the greatest atrocities but saw the hugest smiles. Here are some of the things that have taken up my time over the last few days.
– Pondering if one of the most dangerous volcanoes on earth might chose its moment to spew its guts this week.
– Bumping over the lava encrusted roads from the violent eruption in 2002.
– Running a workshop on behaviour change and WASH. Or how our reptilian brains can be motivated to use soap!
– Training to climb Mt Kenya by doing the 7 minute challenge twice a day
– Catching up with old friends at Lake Kivu Lodge. Feels like you could be in Lake Geneva rather than the conflict prone Eastern Congo.
– Watching Out of Africa but wishing I had a copy of Gorillas in the mist
– Being amazed at the range of restaurants available
– Being perplexed at this stunningly beautiful location that has been ravaged by 20 years of conflict
Im looking forward to next weeks adventures when I will be visiting some of the surrounding villages where we are working for our project.
If you want some background about the place, take a look at this great article on Goma.